Thursday, November 1, 2012

O-H-I-O


This year's presidential election is expected to be the tightest since Gore-Bush. I keep reading that OHIO with its 18 electoral votes may be the deciding factor. I visited there once - in Cincinnati - which is in the south bordering Kentucky and quite different from Cleveland in the north on Lake Erie. So the good Buckeye folks hold our fate in their hands - and votes. In 1952 I recall visiting Sen. Robert Taft's campaign headquarters in the Benjamin Franklin Hotel in Philadelphia. He had a band playing the Ohio State fight song and the place was lively - but he was up against Dwight D. Eisenhower  - and had no chance at the brass ring. There was a song written about OHIO from the show "Wonderful Town" with lyrics by Comden & Green. The last lines go "Why-oh, why-oh, did I ever leave Ohio - maybe I'd better go home." I loved the rendition by Doris Day at a very slow tempo. - which is available on the Internet. And if you are a real Buckeye fan you can send the music as a ringtone to your cellphone. So we will hold our collective breaths until the polls close in O-H-I-O - and expect we will be back on Standard Time by then.
tjs
Next - TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment