Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Back Home Again


During my last twenty-two years in Jacksonville I found the shopkeepers to be both cordial and courteous. Similar to Cheers - "Everybody knew my name." But now I am back home in the big city.
Last week my wristwatch "light" went out so my wife took it to a local watch maker, Gianini. The fellow on duty said to her "You shouldn't have tried to take the back off yourself - you might have bent it - the watch maker is off today - leave it - we'll look at it and call you." Two hours later I got the call  "Your watch is ready." So I hustled down to reclaim it. The man said - "You needed a battery -that'll be $10.60 - my breakfast cost more than that." I asked what he had for breakfast and he refused to tell me. I asked if he changed the day and date on the dial. He said he knew the date and for $10.60 I was lucky to get what I got. I asked if it was his name on the door. He said "No, he's dead." He also said that battery would last a year and you won't have to come in again for a year.
What joy to learn that. And then I remembered that old saw "Abuse me, I'm homesick!"  But since February only has 28 days I will probably have to reset the "date" - I don't dare go back to the late Gianini - moreover, my year isn't up yet.
tjs
Next -A Sweet Tooth

No comments:

Post a Comment