Thursday, February 14, 2013

Looking Back


Today I got to thinking about an old boss. Circa 1944/1945 I worked after school in a pharmacy for Doc. L. - he subsisted on cigarettes and coke but he was good to me. I was a combination soda jerk, dishwasher and errand boy. On the soda fountain we had to eat our mistakes which wasn't hard to take. Washing dishes gave me time to contemplate - also gave me dishpan hands - a term we haven't heard lately. But the evening errands included a trip to the local poker group which rotated into various houses. They insisted on fresh playing cards every time and they tipped generously which made my week. Doc had a 1938 Buick which he tried to keep running as we were under wartime gas rationing. When he developed a leak in the gas tank he worked out a patch using soft Fels Naphtha soap - a trick that worked. Then came August 15, 1945 - VJ Day - Doc refused to close - so we stood outside watching the neighbors parading by beating their pots and pans - the war in the Far East was over. (Photo VJ Day Times Square NYC - mostly female faces)
tjs
Next - E-mail Overload

No comments:

Post a Comment