Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Believe it or not

The following excerpted from Eagle Blue No. 32 - May 12, 2006 -
-I had a young fellow working with me on the booking desk in Philadelphia - call him Joe B. He had a quick mind and wit and excellent interpersonal skills. A family situation dictated he take a leave of absence to rescue a relative's failing gas station. With his excellent work ethic he soon had the station in the black working twelve hour days. The station was on the edge of the city but his home was in New Jersey which made for a lengthy commute. One of his steadiest customers was a drapery company who gave him all the service and maintenance on their several vans running up a tab of several hundred dollars and then disappearing. Phone calls were futile and he brooded about his loss on the long drive home. One evening on returning home his wife announced that "there was a drapery man here today and he gave me an estimate on new drapes and left his business card." Bingo! It was the "welsher". (Again paraphrasing Bogart's line "of all the homes in Delaware Valley he had to walk into mine." Joe instructed his wife to order the drapes, when they were hung to give the man a check and "call me at work." - after which Joe stopped payment with  his bank and waited for the call which shortly came. "Mr. B. there seems to be a problem with that check your wife gave me." Pause. Joe said "Do you know who I am?" Mr. Drapes answered "Oops, I guess you got me." Joe said "I guess we're even PAL" Justice was served - sometimes it takes a little longer. Also, don't mess with a guy from South Philly!
tjs
Next - Job Security

No comments:

Post a Comment