Thursday, August 9, 2012

Personnel 101


In 1969 I was managing the freight booking desk in Philadelphia when our sales manager suffered a heart attack and they tapped me to replace him - mister inside was now to become mister outside managing four salesmen of differing personalities and I was to hit the ground running. After a few years my secretary  announced that she would be taking permanent maternity leave and since Human Resources didn't exist I was on my own to replace her. I received two applicants - both female - one was a young twenty- something confident individual who sounded like she could run the office in my absence. The other was an older woman with references who really needed the job. When interview time rolled around the younger woman showed up wearing "hot pants" which was a fashion fad circa early 1970s - apologizing for her attire as she didn't have time to change. Now, I don't consider myself to be sexist - but I am somewhat of a pragmatist. I weighed my decision over the weekend and on Monday I sent the following message to the home office: "It was either hot pants or cold logic" - I hired the older woman and never regretted my decision. After all, I would never be able to get the salesmen out on the street otherwise.
tjs
Next - Potpourri II

No comments:

Post a Comment