Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tithing et al


As the collection plate passed along at Mass yesterday I recalled Ron Leiber's (NYT) article last week about how churches and ministries receive and collect contributions from their congregations. He even reminded us that in the nineteenth century churches would sell or rent pews to wealthy members. My own childhood parish church - built in 1930 - had little brackets affixed to the pews that could hold "reservations" - but no longer in vogue.  The Mormons prefer to tithe using tithing slips. Jews prefer annual dues, Episcopalians use pledges and Catholics still pass the plate or basket which can evoke a bit of peer pressure. However, technology has crept in and there is an effort to automate the process. Companies like "parish pay" will accept credit or debit cards and "secure give" has even installed kiosks in some churches. I have always wished my priest friends a "silent" collection at Christmas - henceforth, I will add "electronic" and "antiseptic" to my greeting.
tjs
Next - Potpourri III

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoyed being one of the guys taking the collection. It was easier to make a quick exit after the second collection!

    ReplyDelete