Friday, August 10, 2012

Potpourri II


While walking to the coffee shop one morning to pick up the newspaper I looked down and saw a coin on the sidewalk. Now at my age I don't stoop down for pennies anymore but this was a George Washington quarter and worth the bend. Except that the coin was glued or cemented to the pavement and was hot to the touch from the summer sun. Feeling foolish I looked around for the Candid Camera which was nowhere to be found. So I moved on to let the next pedestrian try their luck. But it wasn't April first nor was it trick or treat season. Just a local prankster willing to waste a quarter for a few laughs perhaps. Some of our coins read "In God We Trust" but you can't trust a joker bent on outsmarting a senior citizen. And please pass the burn salve.


Photo of the week - August 4th NYTimes photo of Chinese wearing ski masks at the beach to avoid getting sunburned as fair skin is prized in China. But I'm sure there is a long list of TANS in the Hong Kong phone directory.


Quote of the week - "I want the last check I write to bounce." - Charles F. Feeney Age 81  - low-keyed philanthropist who has given away six billion dollars thru his private foundations. He plans to give the balance of his money away by year 2020 hence his quote.
tjs
Next - TBA (Mon.)





No comments:

Post a Comment