Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Carnival

One snowy February I planned a getaway to Trinidad. Trinidad & Tobago are pretty far down the island chain it was about four hours via PANAM. The hotel in Port of Spain was built on the side of a mountain and when you entered the lobby you took the elevator DOWN to your room. It was known as the Upside Down Hilton. I was scheduled to fly home on a Saturday when the PANAM representative said if I could stay an extra day I could witness the Carnival parade rehearsal with all the steel bands performing - there was the Esso steel band and a dozen others stoked by a little rum and sun. PANAM rebooked me and put me up at their guest house overnight. (Too bad they are out of business) On Sunday the bands paraded on the local "savannah" park and the beat was infectious. After which the calypso singers performed their double-entendere lyrics. It was another instance of serendipity coming my way and grasping it.
tjs
Next - Ash Wednesday

1 comment:

  1. How cool you got to experience carnival. I bet you already saw this story in the NYT:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/world/americas/09trinidad.html

    ReplyDelete