Monday, March 14, 2011

Writer's Block


 S.J. Perelman was one of my favorite humorists. A native New Yorker to the core, he had also done some script writing for the Marx Brothers, but his roots were in Manhattan. It was a time when many authors and writers were moving to Bucks County in Pennsylvania following James A. Michener and others seeking inspiration in the quiet wooded surroundings. But soon Perelman moved back to Manhattan and his friends were concerned for his safety and curious why he would leave the leafy Pennsylvania enclave.
His answer was that by going to Bucks Co. he "lost the New York idiom" and couldn't turn the phrase as he once did. Only a writer would understand.
tjs
Next - The Ides of March
(P.S. - The keeper of the blogosphere archives reminds me that today is my 125th posting. To date I have not encountered any "writer's block" so far. I'm sure that someday I will hit the wall.  But every writer likes to receive feedback. I hope you enjoy my writing and I appreciate that your time is valuable and limited.)

2 comments:

  1. Mr Smith - Please keep posting. I read you every morning on the train into Chicago for work with coffee in hand. I have already used the dry martini/dustpan joke twice. Keep 'em coming.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete