Friday, March 4, 2011

Sales Calls II

My sales territory included all of eastern Pennsylvania. The epitome of a company town was Hershey, Pa. - better known as Chocolate Town. Milton Hershey had built housing for his employees and also founded a school for fatherless boys on a scale similar to what Stephen Girard did for orphans in Philadelphia. As you approached this city you could smell it five miles away. The office lobby was decorated in dark hues with chocolate colored leather chairs, pictures of the founder on the wall and there was a jar of chocolate kisses on the receptionist's credenza. I cooled my heels awaiting my interview and was soon summoned to an upper floor to see the powerful Traffic Manager. In those days my summer uniform included a straight sailor straw hat also known as a skimmer. I deposited my hat on the receptionist's credenza and went up to do business. Upon returning to the lobby I picked up my hat and putting it own revealed a shower of kisses wrappers enveloping my head and shoulders. Fortunately, only the receptionist witnessed this embarrassment and I went on my way.
tjs
Next - Christmas Eve (Monday)

No comments:

Post a Comment