Monday, February 21, 2011

Duty Calls

It was circa 1950 and The Philadelphia Steamship Bowling League convened on Friday evenings at 6:30PM - it was a raucous crowd - I carried a 150 average with a ten pound ball. I had tidied up the desk and had my hand on the doorknob when the phone rang. Dutifully, I picked it up. It was Big Mike the Operations Mgr. There would be no bowling tonight. A ship had just arrived from New York with a relief Master and in the rush to depart New York he had forgotten to replenish the petty cash box and now the crew wanted a "draw" to take in the sights of Port Richmond. Mike said "this is what ya gotta do - take a taxi to M.J. Kelly's Meats (a supplier of victuals to our fleet) - Joe Kelly will give you a package - take it to pier 179 North and give it to the Captain." Pretty straightforward instructions. So off I went - Joe Kelly met me and gave me a brown paper bag filled with money and we headed to Port Richmond. Pier 179 was a  pier with no lights used for idle berthing. It was in the Reading Railroad complex near their grain elevator. I had heard that the rats around grain elevators were as big as cats and I should tuck in my trouser cuffs and whistle if I should see any. The taxi got me as close as he could and I started down the pier apron looking for a gangway but there was none to behold. The ship was "in Ballast" (empty) and was riding very high in the water. There was an accommodation  ladder (a misnomer) hanging down from the bow with the bottom rung broken. I tucked my parcel in my shirt - reached for the ladder and started up with several pairs of eyes peering down at me. They helped me on board and ushered me to the Captain's office - he was perspiring profusely and being hassled by several unlicensed crew members. I handed over my package - he thanked me and bid me goodnight. And now I had to get down the same ladder. The cab was waiting and I made the last game at the alley. The next day was Saturday - we always worked a half day on Saturdays. As I entered the office feeling proud of my previous night's achievement I was set upon by the Freight Cashier demanding a receipt from the Captain which I did not have. Some days you cannot win - either in bowling or in life.
tjs
Next -Down the ways.

1 comment: