Monday, February 14, 2011

Hawaii calls

Since it is Valentine's Day I thought it appropriate to speak of a romantic place. In 1962 I visited Honolulu - partly on business but mostly on vacation. I planned to fly out and take the "boat" back to the mainland as they call California. The music is infectious and ever present - in the hotel room, the elevator and all the public rooms. One evening on the patio of the Moana Hotel under the famous banyan tree I looked south and the sky was red - they were doing an A-test on Johnson Island - six hundred miles away. The jet planes had not yet flooded the islands so that the most festive moments were known as "Boat Day" when the MATSON LINE vessels sailed. They were running two passenger ships - the LURLINE and the MARIPOSA between Honolulu and San Francisco. I had booked passage on the LURLINE and went down to the pier several days before to see the MARIPOSA off. The pier was under the famous Aloha Tower and the Royal Hawaiian Band in their dress white uniforms were playing farewell tunes. A tall prominent lady at the microphone was singing along and as the ship blew its whistles the flower leis began to fly from the portholes. There wasn't a dry eye in the crowd. So I knew what to expect when I would be sailing. When you pass Diamondhead on the way out the custom is to throw your lei on the water and vow to return. It has been fifty years and I have not yet returned. The run to San Francisco took  about four days - the first three the Pacific
lived up to its name - smooth ocean - as you approach the California coast the ocean floor is shallower and the last day got a bit choppy. We passed under the Golden Gate on a misty July morning to explore one of my favorite cities. Except wearing a poplin suit in July I nearly froze. Great memories. Aloha!
tjs
For your listening pleasure.....  Hawaiian Wedding Song
Next - St. Valentine

1 comment:

  1. i like your use of multimedia - photo and video. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete