Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Agronomy


The greens keepers at Wimbledon have quite a challenge before them. The grass court tournament commences this week to last a fortnight. They need the grass to hold up for fourteen days - provide the right bounce and keep the baselines green throughout. And then, only three weeks later the Olympics begin with the grass required to be in tip-top shape all over again. It is quite a science to perform as expected. Meanwhile, back home in the colonies, the New York City Parks Department has the task of clearing several acres of Staten Island waterfront infested with a tough weed. Rather than engaging an agronomist as Wimbledon did they have elected to employ twenty goats hired from an upstate farmer to eliminate the problem growth.
The goats work cheap and have an insatiable appetite but their constant bleating can be unnerving. I can sympathize with the weeding problem as I had bamboo shoots in my garden that were prolific. I considered importing panda bears but they would be much more expensive than billy goats, I'm sure.
And as far as tennis goes, these days I would need two bounces.
tjs
Next - Merchants and Merchandise.

1 comment: