Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Parade

Some years ago my wife and I went into Manhattan to attend Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral on Easter Sunday. Fifth Avenue was closed to vehicular traffic as the citizens were showing off their finery in an informal parade. My wife remembers every detail of the outfit she wore that day. I seem to recall I was wearing black shoelaces. After Mass we sauntered over to the old Intercontinental Hotel on East 48th street for brunch. As we entered the dining room the piano player took one look at my wife's bonnet and segued into Irving Berlin's "Easter Parade". Berlin wrote simple tunes - he was limited to writing in only a few keys so he had an attachment to his piano - a wheel or lever - which he shifted back and forth to other keys. The first line of Easter Parade "In your Easter bonnet" was originally "smile and show your dimple" - somehow that wouldn't work. So, Happy Easter to you and yours.
tjs
Next - Musings while shaving.

1 comment: