Monday, April 18, 2011

Sesqui-Centennial

Today the scorekeeper reminded me that this is my 150th posting. I didn't know I had that much to say.  My thanks to all of you for staying with me so long. When our country turned 150 years old in 1926 there was an exposition/World's Fair held in Philadelphia called the Sesqui-Centennial Exposition. This was a time of prohibition which lasted from 1919 to 1933 - fourteen years without a legal drink - amazing! One of the highlights of the exposition was the Jack Dempsey/Gene Tunney fight  - fought outdoors in the pouring rain before 120,000 fans. My father was in the crowd and later gave me his ticket stub which I no longer have. Tunney outboxed Dempsey and won a ten round decision. Boxing was very popular in this era and the New York Times devoted nine pages to the fight. Tunney married a wealthy socialite and retired from the ring shortly after the second Dempsey fight in 1927 in Chicago, which he also won in the famous "long count" fight. His son John was a Senator from California 1965/1977. Dempsey nicknamed the "Manassa Mauler" retired in 1940 and opened a successful restaurant in Manhattan where he personally greeted the diners on entrance. Today is also Patriots' Day in Boston celebrating Paul Revere's famous ride. Bosox fans hope the holiday crowd will help the team break out of their slump.
tjs
Next - Veeck as in Wreck.

1 comment: