Friday, April 29, 2011

Rule Brittania

As a closet Anglophile I thought we should forego Friday humor for a day and commemorate the Royal Wedding of William and Kate. My wife set the alarm for 0430 so we could witness the nuptials and what follows. We spent the wedding eve listening to some of my favorite English music which I will share with you - at the same time not foisting my music taste on you.
You might enjoy Dame Vera Lynn singing WWII songs - i.e. "We'll meet again." "Wishing will make it so." - "A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square." "Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover."
And my all time favorite Ray Noble Orchestra with vocals by Al Bowlly i.e. "The very thought of you" - "Love is the sweetest thing" -"Goodnight Sweetheart." These were recorded circa 1932/1934 and many can be found on YouTube.
Al Bowlly's pure voice was silenced during the Nazi blitz and Ray Noble came to the U.S.A., did some arranging with Glenn Miller and later to Hollywood where we heard him on radio with Bob Hope.
The Brits do weddings "well" - and funerals. London is one of my favorite cities but be careful stepping off the curb - they still drive on the left. But for now pass the strawberries and clotted cream - and cheerio!
tjs
Next - Epitaphs II (Sat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment