Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Emptys cuming back"

My friend Jerry was a railroader at heart when he joined us in the shipping business. He brought a great trait with him - punctuality. He (like Mussolini) liked to have the trains run on time. He goes back to the days when box cars and gondola cars were the life blood of the railroads. Some had colorful names like the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western's "The Route of Phoebe Snow." And they wrote songs about railroads - The Wabash Cannonball - Chattanooga Choo Choo - and the Atcheson, Topeka & Santa Fe.
 Warren Buffet bought a railroad - The Burlington Northern. I thought of my friend Jerry when I ran across an old poem in my scrapbook:
"Have you ever sat by the railroad track - and watched the emptys cuming back?
lumbering along with a groan and a whine - smoke strung out in a long gray line -
belched from the panting injun's stack - just emptys cuming back."

I have - and to me the emptys seem - like dreams I sometimes dream -
of a girl -or munney - or maybe fame - my dreams have all returned the same -
swinging along the homebound track - just emptys cuming back." (By Angelo de Ponciano)
tjs
Next - Hizzoner the Mayor

No comments:

Post a Comment