Thursday, October 20, 2011

Personnel Matters

It was circa 1973 and  I had been District Sales Manager for USLines in Philadelphia for several years when my secretary announced she would be departing on permanent maternity leave and I was left to my own resources to replace her. I had no personnel experience but I set out to screen applicants as best I could.
Two women applied and we scheduled interviews. Applicant number one was a twenty something young woman, appeared very competent and could certainly run the office. But she showed up for the interview wearing hot pants which was a fashion rage of the day. Applicant number two was a mature woman who appeared to need the job. Now, I was supervising four salesmen all with different personalities and if I hired number one I feared I would have trouble getting them to leave the office to make their sales calls. I was and am all for the feminist movement but I called the home office and said "It's either hot pants or cold logic" - and I hired number two.
tjs
Next - Funny? or punny III

No comments:

Post a Comment