Monday, November 8, 2010

Clarity of Language

During my years in International Commerce I had to communicate with many people in Europe and South America whose first language was not English. I always tried to avoid any slang, jargon or acronyms to ensure I was understood. I wanted to avoid the following scenario:

This story is about a plumber (call him Joe) from Grand Rapids Michigan who was about to undertake a project and needed to know the effect of sulphuric acid on cast iron. (pre-Google). He decided to write to the U.S. Dept. of Labor in Washington D.C. who he felt would know the answer. The following exchange ensued:
JOE - defined his dilemma.
USDL - Thank you for your inquiry. Be advised that sulphuric acid is contraindicated for your project.
JOE - Thank you for your prompt reply. I have just ordered a carboy (large bell shaped jar) of acid.
USDL - (via air mail) - Please note that sulphuric acid is deleterious to cast iron.
JOE - I appreciate your interest - the acid just arrived and I plan to start the project tomorrow.
USDL - (via telegram) DON'T USE THE ACID - IT EATS THE HELL OUT OF CAST IRON!!
Clear - concise and correct.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment