Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

I sit here today surrounded by family and loved ones to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving Day. But twenty-four years ago I spent Thanksgiving alone with a deli takeout box lunch. It was then that my employer of thirty-six years - United States Lines - declared bankruptcy on the Monday before the holiday - without warning -  with many of my friends forced onto the unemployment lines. I was lucky or unlucky to be reassigned to "rear guard" activity manning the phones and telexes around the clock 24/7 as our fleet of vessels was spread out around the globe and were vulnerable to seizure or placarding.
We all survived this event and life goes on but today some people dear to me are spending this holiday alone and my heart and good wishes go out to them. As we sit at table today and after Grace and Thanksgiving are pronounced I will request an extra portion of stuffing but will pass on the  Brussels Sprouts..
teejay8232@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment