Monday, November 29, 2010

Retreat Master

A colleague introduced me to the late Rev. John Seary, O.S.A. who had taught in various high schools and colleges operated by the Augustinian order. When I met him he was a retired retreat master who had traveled the college circuit - Merrimac - Villanova - and their Florida institution. One spring he was giving a religious retreat to Villanova sophomores (pre coed) - the weather was balmy and the windows were open with these twenty-year olds slouching in their chairs and wishing they were elsewhere.
He recognized that he could not reach them that morning so he threw away his script and announced -"Today we are going to discuss "courtship" - and his listeners all straightened up in their chairs. And he began to recite the following:
"Last night I held your little hand - so thrilled was I - I thought I'd die - 
 my blood ran hot and then ran cold - of little hands one loves to hold -
 no other hand in all the world could greater solace bring  -
 than the little hand I held last night - FOUR ACES AND A KING."
teejay8232@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment