Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Spirit

On Christmas Eve morning I went into Borders Bookstore to buy a New York Times newspaper. The store was very crowded and I was about thirtieth in line.
The man behind me was wearing a fireman's sweater. We wished each other Merry Christmas. I said I wished they had an express line. He said if that is all you are buying I will take care of it when I reach the counter and you can go on your way.
I thanked him for his generosity and promised not to set any fires during the holidays. It was pure serendipity and perhaps one half an O. Henry story. Oh, and it was the last copy of the Times on the shelf.
tjs

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and your family! I love the latest blog posts -- and your write up in the Chicago Tribune!

    ReplyDelete