Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dog & Pony Show

In the late 1970s the steamship business was going thru transition converting from a breakbulk labor intensive operation to Containerization and we all had to adapt and learn the trucking business. I was then in staff sales in New York and I put together a slide presentation on the Container which I showed to traffic clubs, college campuses and anyone who would give me an audience. One day a salesman down south called - said his traffic club was meeting in a week and it was his turn to provide a speaker and could I come down and bail him out. Up to that time I had never been south of the Mason-Dixon Line so I asked if he had any advice. He said "Don't wear a three piece suit." On the appointed day I flew with my black box down to Alabama - the meeting was to be on the campus of the Univ. of Alabama at Tuscaloosa. Driving thru the campus there was a life size statue of Coach Bear Bryant so I knew I was in bear country. The meeting was in a small cafeteria type room with maybe two dozen attendees. Now I knew that my new owner had many friends in Mobile and might some of them be here? As I was fretting how I was going to warm up this group, the lady who was to introduce me appeared - a tall blonde wearing a crimson blazer. She leaned into the microphone and yelled "LET'S HAVE A ROLL TIDE!" The room erupted - and after a few Q&A this Yankee boy was home free.
I was glad I left my vest at home.
tjs
Next - Role Playing

No comments:

Post a Comment