Monday, December 20, 2010

Road Rage

While working in New York I had an evening commitment that required me to drive into the city. It was a long day and evening and around 10:00PM I found myself driving north on the Henry Hudson Parkway entering Westchester County and approaching an unoccupied toll booth with the barrier down.
 As I tossed my only quarter toward the bin I missed and it fell to the ground. With the barrier down and no more coins I alighted from my vehicle to correct the situation when the car behind me blew his horn as New Yorkers will do. With fatigue and exasperation with my situation I yelled something to the hornblower - nothing profane or obscene - but nevertheless confrontational. Big mistake! I then moved on and soon found I was being followed. I sped up - he sped up. I slowed down - he slowed down. I was now approaching a remote area of Westchester and would soon need to exit the parkway and I didn't want my companion following me into my garage. I decided to slow down further in the right lane and he came along side in the left lane, looked at me and presented his middle digit (as they say in New York he gave me the finguh) - and then he went on his way. I was fortunate he held nothing else in his hand. He just wanted the last wordless word. But, boys and girls, there is a lesson here - and mum's the word, zip the lip or as Archie Bunker used to say "Stifle it."
tjs
Next - Radio Days II

No comments:

Post a Comment