Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Heisman Award

Whether you are a football fan or a sports fan in general you are probably aware of the Heisman Award ceremony to take place tonight Saturday December 11th to nominate the most valuable college player of the year. This ceremony is followed up by a gala dinner several weeks later in a Manhattan hotel. Some years ago - circa 1982 - the USLines V.P. was on the dinner committee and we entertained several tables of guests - black tie, etc. The winner that year was Hershel Walker from the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga. and the black & red colors of their team were in evidence thruout the audience. As I stepped on the crowded hotel elevator in the lobby I glanced down at my feet and there was their Bulldog mascot called UGA II wearing his red sweater. It was a slow ride up to the ballroom and I began to fret about my ankles and also my rented tuxedo. But UGA II was well behaved and was admitted to the ballroom. I didn't ask if he liked white meat or was a vegetarian. His successor today is UGA VII  and the line goes on. Tonight - 8PM EST ESPN.
tjs
Next - The Guiness Book of Records

No comments:

Post a Comment