Monday, December 27, 2010

In the Hood III

Growing up we had several German American families in the neighborhood who had their own social clubs with the oompah bands and picnics on Sunday with names like Kanstatters and Schutzen park. With the outbreak of WWII there was a sensitivity on their part and they Americanized the names of these facilities. Obviously, they had families back in Germany but two families had sons drafted into our armed services and they were loyal citizens. When I walked to school I passed a building that was a National Guard Armory and I often watched them lower the Stars and Stripes at sundown. During WWII this building housed German POWS and circa 1943 they were probably captured in the North African campaign. The armory was adjacent to several athletic fields and in the afternoons they would be marched to a vacant athletic field and we could see them playing soccer with several U.S. sentries standing guard. But they weren't going anywhere - their war was over - and we housed and fed them until the war's end.
tjs
Next - Happy Trails

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is about to have a few more visitors thanks to the article in the trib, keep at it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your son's article in the Tribune this morning.....you have one more follower. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm one of those visitors from reading your son's lovely column in the Tribune. I live in Portland, OR and still love the Trib. I'm enjoying your blog...lots to catch up on. So,
    I'm putting you on my Google Reader so I can get every entry. Am looking forward to this! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete