Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Handshake

Before there were high fives, fist bumps or bear hugs there was the ordinary handshake - some firm - some soft and some in between. It was useful in sealing a deal, confirming an agreement, starting an athletic event, etc.  I once called on a customer in NYC who was a fitness buff - every morning swimming laps - his handshake almost brought me to my knees. A real macho guy - I counted my digits on the way out and couldn't write for the rest of the day - but I needed his business. Another time while on the South Jersey shore a friend suggested we drive down to the Delaware beaches i.e. Dewey Beach which was still unspoiled. LBJ's daughters used to hang out there - they let you have bonfires on the beach which Jersey would never permit. While searching for his friend's cottage we passed a fellow plucking his guitar on his cottage porch wearing a tee shirt and three day beard - he pointed us next door where the hostess had a visitor - call her Mary Byrd - after introductions all around, the guitar plucker appeared in the doorway - Mrs. Byrd introduced him as her husband Charlie - THE Charlie Byrd whose LPs I had played at home. He and his wife played the clubs around Annapolis Md. and Washington D,C. and his handshake was soft as silk. His hands must have been insured for big bucks. Lastly, back in Philadelphia I was introduced to a prominent female plastic surgeon who was doing pro bono work in Taiwan under the auspices of Madame Chaing Kai Shek.
Her hand was also soft and almost withdrawing. The message seems to be if/when you run into a musician or surgeon, go easy - or maybe just rub noses like the Eskimos do.
tjs
Next - My Kind of Town

No comments:

Post a Comment